Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

"I Need to Read"

It is long. Here is the abridged version:

I love to read. I have loved to read since I was a kid. When I was in elementary school, I used to get in trouble for reading chapter books during class.

I love to spend the first 30 minutes after buying a small electronic device reading its manual.

I read a particularly fascinating article in Highlights magazine not too long ago. And the magazine that AARP puts out once had a very insightful article on how to save money while traveling.

Sometimes, I like to pretend I'm the main character in a novel I'm reading and that I have their special powers, or their cool clothes or I live in their city or their time period. I love any kind of quick-read book by Meg Cabot or Helen Fielding but I also love the kind of resounding literature that Mark Twain and J.D. Salinger wrote. William Shakespears and Tennessee Williams' plays also top my list of favorite reads.

If you go to a movie with me and I see that the movie was based on a book, you better believe I'm going to the library after that movie and checking out the book.

I am usually the first person my friends will ask about current events because they think I probably read an article about something somewhere. They're usually right.

I recently checked out four books from the library without considering when I would have time to read them. In order to finish them all and turn them back in on time, I've left one at home, one in my book bag, one at work and I keep one in my car for lengthy stoplights. That way, I'll always have something to read. And that's how I like it.


That part about reading the book in the car? I really do that. :)

2 comments:

  1. i liked this :)
    ever since i graduated to reading books without pictures, i always imagine what the characters look like, what their surroundings look like, etc. down to the itty bitty details. and then if there is a picture in the book or a movie is made from it, i'm usually disappointed because i imagined everything in a completely different way. haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. i know! sometimes i hate when a movie comes out after i've read the book. i already have the characters and their appearances solidified in my mind. i hated the harry potter movies for that exact reason.

    ReplyDelete